19 November 2007

Auction

I went to a couple of house auctions, only one of which sold. I’m beginning to get around Canberra and feel quite comfortable in getting from one place to the next; never without the street directory of course. I came across Scullin and found it to be a very average looking suburb, which might mean the prices are average. That may not be such a bad thing. There was an auction so I called in to watch what happened. There was only one bidder at the auction and a lot of spectators. This individual was persuaded to open the bidding at $300,000 and with no other action the auctioneer placed a vendor’s bid at $350,000. That’s a staggering jump. Everyone was quiet and the property was passed in. The house had a small lounge room, a small main bedroom with ensuite. Though, the other bedrooms seemed larger than average. This house had a very small yard and there was a lot of work to do to the place. It was rough. I thought the opening bid would have been a fair price. Perhaps I knew less about the location that I thought, and Canberra property prices gave me a shock.

The next house was auctioned in a nearby well to do suburb. It was near the top of a rise with views to Mt Stromlo. A huge crowed of people were present when I arrived. It was a 4 bedroom house on a very large block with a neat but very plain garden. It had a lounge room that was smaller than my place in Melbourne, but 4 very nice sized bedrooms that were accessed from a central passage. It was a simple design but the elegant furnishings made it seem to be a very appealing property. Unfortunately, the extension that had been added looked like a tack on; possibly a veranda had been enclosed. The auction started at $500,000 with $25,000 rises, slowing later, and selling for $775,000. It went well above the reserve. Possibly someone was trying to buy into the street rather than the property. The price didn’t seem worth it. Perhaps that’s just Canberra. Ouch!

No comments: