15 November 2007

Canberra suburbs

I was driving around some of Canberra’s northern suburbs, including Aranda which had a certain appeal to me. I find this a pleasant way of getting to know a town. On the way home from work I’ve been ambling (ie. driving) through the quiet streets having a look at what’s what. There are a lot of leafy suburbs that are brim full of character. And there are some that aren’t. The difference between those with money and those without is very apparent here in Canberra.

I had a look at Cook, Macquarie, Weetangera, and Hawker. There will be some million dollar views to be had from some of the properties at the top of Hawker. I spotted a for sale sign on a house near the top of the hill. I must check it out and see what it sells for when the auction comes up; at least I can see what the views are like.

The Canberra suburb and street names are something to behold. I don’t know how the locals handle many of them, but I can’t get my tongue around half of them: Weetangera, Gungahlin for instance, and how do you pronounce Ginninderra Drive. Anyone for a tongue twister?

Then of course, there is the political influence in Canberra with the naming of its suburbs. How would you like to live in Fraser? And while Fraser has a fine tartan, I don’t think any kind of honour to that clan was intended. I knew a Fraser once; not Malcolm though, but I doubt if the suburb was named after him anyway. Would you want to live in a suburb that reminds you of him? Alternatively, you could go for the suburb of Latham. This name would have little to do with Mark, but the name does have an association that might put some people on edge or swell with pride. Could you live there? I wonder if the suburb names attract people with the associated political views. Perhaps people don’t care.

For the nation’s capital, I’m surprised at the lack of political chit chat that goes on around the traps. The people I’ve come across in my travels here don’t seem to bother with politics, as much as I thought they might. Before I came to Canberra I thought it would have been awash with conversations and gossip about the politicians and their schemes and scandals. Perhaps I don’t mix in the right circles.

No comments: