05 February 2008

Watching the sun rise

So many things took longer than expected. We’d bought a flat pack desk to replace the old desk we’d removed. We wanted something special in that spot to spruce up the room. I decided to assemble the new desk in the evening, while watching telly. There were so many pieces to this thing that were almost identical which was confusing. And the instructions could have been written better, but I expect we’ve all been there at some time.

I used to fit accessories to new vehicles. This included anything from installing radios (when they were not a standard car accessory), to fitting towbars, mudflaps and the like. One of the things I quickly learnt was that the manufacturer’s fitting instructions often left a lot to be desired. We would often joke that one of the first things to do when fitting a car accessory is to throw away the instructions. They were often badly written, written in AsianSpeak with incorrect spellings, poor grammar, or sometimes the instructions were plainly incorrect. Thankfully, things are getting better in terms of AsianSpeak, and it's probably due to the number of overseas students who study in English speaking counties who go home with a better command of English than their peers.

I felt capable of assembling the desk, but my intention of completing the job during the evening was a plan that went astray. I pushed the desk into position just as the sun was rising in the morning. Feeling pleased that I'd finbished, but dissappointed in how long I took, I flopped into bed to hear a sleepy voice, “Is it time to get up?” Yeah, right.

No comments: