12 August 2010

The existing lender

As soon as I could, I contacted the lender that was financing my current home. From the information I provided on the phone, the rep said I would probably be approved, and he asked me to submit an application. This actually took a few days to prepare. It’s a painful process completing these multi-page application forms.

After considering our finances and commitments the deal seemed to be a no go. That was disappointing. They could help me, but only under certain conditions. Their assessment also took more time than expected. In fact, I had to get on the phone to them, rather than being contacted by the lender. Time was pressing.

They wanted me to jump through too many hoops. But I did have a very interesting conversation that had a favourable effect my interest rate. On my existing home loan, that is.

They took issue with my credit card limit. I couldn’t quite see the point of the credit card issue when it was raised, as I always cleared the debt before the due date each month. But I can see their point now. The point is that there might be debt, which might make it difficult to make the home loan repayments if the card debt builds up too high. They also wanted me to have a larger deposit for the property. This wasn’t going to happen. At the time of these conversations I had an offer on a property. I had no interest in saving for a larger deposit. I’d lose the property to someone else, and I wanted to avoid that.

The interesting thing that occurred during my enquiry to this lender was related to my current interest rate. Without my asking, the rep offered me a discount on my current rate. I’d never heard of a discount before. At least, not during a conversation such as this. I was almost dumbstruck, but not so dumb as to say that’d be very nice. So, the way this works is that whatever the going flexible rate is at any particular time that this company has set for people’s home loans, for the life of my home loan, the interest rate I will be charged will be 10% less than everyone else. I asked if he’d confirm that in writing, and sure enough an email came through to say just that. To say I was amazed is an understatement. There has to be a lesson here for everyone. Perhaps everyone should try for a discount. What have you got to lose? It’s possible they wanted to ensure they kept me as a customer. Perhaps they thought along the lines that here’s a client who’s shopping around, if I don’t get satisfaction with them they may have feared I’d walk off and refinance everything with some other company, and so lose my business. I don’t know. I never asked them.

These enquiries were at about the time the Australian Government had put out its offer of guaranteeing the big banks. My home loan wasn’t with one of the larger Australian banks. Perhaps they were losing customers and just wanted to hang on to me and this was the inducement. It worked.

I was speaking to a rep form another lending institution. Well, I was shopping around, after all. The rep asked who my home loan was currently financed with. I told him. His response surprised me. He said he didn’t know they were still in business. Comments like that do nothing for your confidence in your financial situation. Is it practice for these people to put fear into people’s minds?

No comments: