31 August 2010

Request from the lender

The lender eventually requested identification documents to be forwarded, or rather, demanded documentation. Some grumpy person rang me. Rather than a pleasant greeting the caller snapped at me. Where is my identification material, he demanded. I explained that no one had asked for anything.

Had I not doubted my chances of being approved I would have grumped right back. Despite the grumpiness, this was a positive step. When I enquired about doing this at an earlier stage I was advised not to trouble myself. Then I got this demand as to where the material was, as though they were waiting for me and I was dragging my feet. The documents had to be copies endorsed by a JP and posted to them.

I guess that’s the trouble when the lender doesn’t have an office and everything is done by phone or by email, and with different people dealing with you. In fact the original person I was working with took some recreation leave and I had to work with someone else, then the original bloke came back for a time and then he got sick and was off work again. I don’t know if these breaks and different people were to my disadvantage, but it would have slowed things.

You could put a case that this is where these institutions fall down. Banks fall over themselves trying to demonstrate that online banks can’t provide a good service. They say they disadvantage themselves by not having a shop front. To some extent that’s true, but I’d rather have the lower interest rates than the good service. In my experience that good service is sometimes difficult to find amongst the shop front banks even when you look for it, despite what they say. My experience of the average financial institution with a shop front leaves a lot to be desired. The only thing I dislike about the online services is the risk of fraud associated with financial dealings when using your home computer with the various viruses, worms, Trojans and the like.

The last thing they requested of me was proof of my ability to pay the deposit. They wanted bank statements. I immediately obliged and took a lunch time trip to my bank (yes, a Westpac shop front) to get the documentation they requested. I couldn’t give them a statement, as I didn’t have one yet. My payout money had only been in the bank a few weeks. I doubt they’d be interested in the slip of paper teller machines print out.

I wondered if this was where things were going to get difficult. I had just changed jobs, and I wondered whether I might be questioned on this subject at some point. It was something I thought might cause everything to come crashing to halt. At that precise point in time I was working for a different company than I had been when I applied for finance only a few weeks before. I provided all sorts of information when I applied, everything related to the old employer: payslips, group certificates, but nothing for my current employer. Well, when I completed the application form I didn’t have the new job. What else was I to do? I had only just started the new job and it was too early to even have my first payslip.

Anyway I was at the bank. I told the teller what I wanted: a statement showing my balance. I explained that it was a request from a financial institution where I was applying for a home loan. I expected the bank would print it on some sort of official looking lettered headed paper. But no, it was a printout on a plain sheet of paper that was stamped using an inked rubber stamp with the bank’s name, and dated. It looked pretty ordinary. I was unimpressed, and I said so. The teller said she knew what was required and it would be acceptable.

The teller reminded me that they have a loans officer who could discuss the bank’s home loan options. This was a Westpac bank, and I have black-listed them. Westpac’s staff had given me some really poor treatment in the past so I have decided not to use Westpac other than a simple transaction account. I listened to the teller and politely declined. At that point in time I was quite happy to pursue my current application, if they’d have me.

I had just finished with the teller by a few seconds when my mobile rang. I was actually pushing my way through the door of the bank when it rang. The caller was a guy from the lender reminding me that a bank statement was required. An email and now a phone call. How much notice do they think I need. It was a different voice on the phone. Not the grump I had spoken with earlier. Anyway, I told him I was at the bank at that very moment doing exactly what was requested. He seemed pleased. I told him I had the statement in my hand, and that I’d send it to him today. Then a thought occurred to me.

I considered it would do no harm to give them some encouragement in processing my application. I dangled a carrot in front of them. I mentioned that while at the bank I was asked by the teller why I wanted the statement. I related how I mentioned I was looking for a home loan and the statement was required as part of my application. I then went on to say that the bank officer began to put a sales pitch to me and sell their home loan services and explain the benefits of getting a home loan through Westpac rather than the company I had my application with. This is a very reasonable scenario because it happens. You do get badgered. However, none of this took place, other than a short chat. A loans officer was there and could have spent time with me, but I declined. Instead, I embellished the experience. I wanted to give the impression to the guy I had on the phone at that moment that Westpac was seriously after my custom. It was all a bluff, but it may have helped, because a few days later my application was approved.

The next few days proved awkward because at the time I had no idea of how my loan application was progressing. I didn’t know how close the application was to being approved; they didn’t communicate anything of this nature.

No comments: