19 March 2008

Kind people

The buyer of my landlady’s house signed the contract, and wanted the 31st March as the settlement date. I was to be homeless in a few weeks.

There must have been a family discussion; a celebration I dare say, of finalising the sale. Well, you can imagine, when the contract is signed it’s a done deal. A commitment date set, money in the bank, and plans to be made for the future. It seems that my landlady’s mother considered offering me board at her house, realising I’d be homeless. That was thoughtful. Though, there wasn’t much room in her house, as she would also be boarding her daughter. She hasn’t been looking for another property and wasn’t fussed about the settlement date, leaving that at the buyer’s discretion. And until she finds another place, she would be living with her mother.

When the excitement eased, conversation may have fallen to the subject of my situation. As a boarder in her house I would be lost for a place to live. Of course, you can always come up with some arrangement even if I had to rent an onsite caravan until I found something. My landlady’s brother lived nearby, as it happened. I wasn’t aware of that. I had met him on the occasional visit to his sister’s place. He seemed pleasant enough, and I must have made the same impression on him. Unbeknown to me, he had suggested that if I wished I could move my things into his place and board with him for as long as I wished.

I was very touched by the kindness and consideration of people.

No comments: