09 May 2008

Credit cards

We got an increase on one of our credit cards. This was a really bizarre experience.

Given that things were tight financially, I thought I’d try for an increase in the amount of credit. I have two cards and it was so easy to arrange an increase for the other one; I simply made a phone call, asked, and it was approved.

So, I rang GE, the other credit card company to sound them out. No, an increase couldn’t be authorised by phone. I’d have to complete an application form, it would be sent in the post, and I’d have to post it back to them. Within a few days the application form arrived. I completed the form and returned it. However, given my somewhat unusual situation of selling up and purchasing another property I found it difficult to complete the form accurately or honestly. It’s just that the series of questions relating to assets gave me trouble. For example, the questions relating to whether I owned property proved difficult. Well, yes, I do own property, but where is it: was it in Melbourne or Canberra. As my property was on the market, it might be sold/not sold, in which case I’ll be swimming in cash or have a valuable asset. And that asset might be in Melbourne or Canberra, depending upon what property I have at the time. I attempted to communicate that in the application form. It wasn’t easy, and I made notes in the margins of their application form.

In a week or so the form was returned with a note saying my application had been unsuccessful because I had not completed the application appropriately, or some such thing. I realised my mistake: I had attempted to provide too much information. I was feeling annoyed, but before I could rework the form in a manner I knew they would accept; that is, lie to them, I received a letter from the same finance company offering me an increase in my credit. All I had to do was tick a box and sign a very simple form and return it. I did this, and within a few days my application to increase my limit was approved.

This is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

No comments: