17 May 2008

Some light ($s) at the end of the tunnel

Our Melbourne real estate agent emailed me the document he said he got from the buyer’s solicitor. It was a note which could have been typed by anyone, on a plain sheet of paper, that stated our real estate agent “…is the beneficiary in a transmission from Burnt Britt Cardens – Walrod” of an amount of 15,000 in a currency type of GBP. It appeared legitimate, in so far as a few words on a piece of paper are concerned. It was a step forward.

I left a message on Mal’s answering service (Westpac) to say it had arrived. S is feeling lousy over this whole shemozzle.

There were two other properties in Flynn that we didn’t see properly last Saturday. One was in Jacobs Place and another in Rolland Place. We were at Rolland Place when B rang and we upped our offer to win the property. Rolland seemed like an ex-govie, was very ordinary and a bit depressing inside. Sure, the pool looked nice, the back garden was done up nicely but it was a sad little property, and advertised for the same price as the property I'm hoping will come through. Rolland didn’t seem worth the lower end of its advertised $340-$360k price tag. Jacobs Place on the other hand had fabulous views, and did seem a large place, but the property made no connection with me, which was just as well for the $420-$440k price tag. The agent at the property pointed me toward a property in Carandini Street for about $400k. It was an okay property, with huge windows but it overlooked the neighbours in an imposing sort of way. Little impressed me today.

I took a drive out to Fyshwick to check out the used car lots for a ute. I need a ute to be able to transport our camper van, that’s sitting in the driveway at Warrandyte, up here to Canberra. The old ute I used to have literally rusted away, and then the engine blew up, but that’s another story. There wasn’t much in the offing from the used car dealers; and they often seem so much like con-artists.

While I was at Fyshwick I spotted a branch of Avis, and wondered about truck rentals. I paid them a visit. Prices for trucks, that can be driven by people with only a car driver’s licence, though pricey are within my budget. The trucks were a very good size too. We have a lot of stuff that we don’t trust removalists with. This might be a solution.

No comments: