14 May 2008

Still no money

B, our Canberra real estate agent, delivered the contract to my solicitor today. S and I are both worried about the whole situation with the deposit. The deposit should have been paid ages ago, but little has been forthcoming.

I had a look for our buyer on the internet, to see if anyone had her listed as a problem person. There was nothing on the net, that I could find. I found her telephone number. Boy, I was tempted to ring, and confront her with a few issues. I resited the urge.

I searched on her address and found a listing of someone else at that address in the State Government Gazette, on a listing of people Telstra owes money. But that was all; which could be a good thing.

I rang our Warrandyte real estate agent about the buyer, but there was no news. And still no money for us. The deposit still hasn’t been paid. Then later in the day she made contact with our agent, apologised again, and according to our agent made positive noises about having been in contact with her solicitor in the UK. She said the deposit will be coming, but there may be a delay. Oh great!

Apparently, it takes some time for the funds to be transferred. You’d think the transfer of funds would be instantaneous. The time delay that exists between the UK and Australia was pointed out to me. I wasn’t quite sure how that fits with the issue. When you pick up the phone and talk to someone, it doesn’t really matter where you are, be that the house next door or UK. Surely, if you transfer funds electronically it’s just as fast.

According to our real estate agent, there is no problem in shifting the settlement date from the 16th to 19th June. Well, that’s good at least. Assuming the deal goes through, assuming the deposit is actually paid. Oh, I don’t like any of this. This is just so wrong. This should just not happen.

S got a quote for removalists – Dawkins (approx $9000). Boy, that’s a lot.

An early rise for me tomorrow – a 7.30am appointment with the bank.

No comments: