20 May 2008

More finance discussions

Mal the Westpac banker rang. A friendly chap on the surface, but he came across as a bit of a trickster. He may be defending his commission; I think he was trying to stop me shifting to Virgin for a home loan. With the hours he works, I assume he’s on commission. Anyway, I had rung the Westpac home loan help line asking about the bank’s home loan interest rates. Now, that was an illuminating experience.

It was only the day before that Mal made his best offer and made it sound as though he was offering me a special rate. Well, it turned out that his best offer was just the every day fixed rate they give to anyone. So much for the best he can do. That’s not a deal, that’s the bank’s standard rate. Discoveries like this are not helpful to good relations. The reassuring handshake, the gentle hand on shoulder, and friendly smile now seemed like deceit. Anyway, he rang saying he’d try and work something out, and we spoke about Virgin.

With experiences like that you feel like telling them where to go and dumping them, and going somewhere else. Okay, I am considering going somewhere else, but I also want to keep my options open while I find the best deal. He asked what I’d been offered from Virgin. I said there was nothing in writing but I could email him the details, and I also sent him some information from the Virgin web site.

B, the agent, rang. The only time she can set up a time to see the house to inspect the work done to the wardrobes etc was Thursday at 5.30pm. So much for my early departure for Melbourne. I was planning to get away from work early on Thursday afternoon to drive to Melbourne. Vicki the conveyancer is still waiting for information from the vendor’s solicitor. I thought we’d be the hold up with all the trouble with our buyer in Melbourne no paying the deposit on time.

No comments: