23 May 2008

The inspection

I called around to the Flynn house around 5.30pm as arranged to inspect the work that had been done, which was a bit pointless as the wardrobe doors had not yet been fitted. That was rather disappointing, as it was promised to be done. Some work had been done, but it was unfinished. People shouldn’t make promises they can’t keep.

I met K, one of the owners of the house, and she ran through a few things in the house. She showed me the laundry, which had had some work done and wasn’t quite finished. There were still a few tidy up things to do. She worked in a kitchen renovation company, and I presume she was able to use these contacts to get some work done on the house, and the laundry revamp was one of the renovations in progress, which was nice. And why wouldn’t you do that if you worked at a place like that. And of course, the kitchen itself had been renovated not long previously by the look of it. The kitchen floor looked better than it had done when I saw the place last during the inspection. Areas of the floor had been revarnished. It appeared as though there had been a few spillages of varnish on the floor that had been allowed to dry, as some areas of varnish on the floor looked to be much thicker in areas than in others. They didn’t do the entire floor for some reason. I wonder why they stopped part way through the dining room. Anyway, it’s something that can be done again later.

K produced a letter while I was there to say the robe doors would be completed. She seemed concerned at their absence, and presumably this letter of commitment was to make me feel at ease. She was probably embarrassed. I was disappointed it hadn’t been done, but she seemed genuine enough.

We had a chat. She was very chatty, in fact. She promised to steam clean the carpets to remove the stains. She said the stains were just surface marks and would be easily removed.

I couldn’t stay. It was getting late. I was in a hurry to pick up some removalist cartons that I had arranged through work, and then I was off to Melbourne. I was aware the drive from Canberra to Melbourne was about eight hours for me. I didn’t want to be driving too far into the early hours. K seemed oblivious of my need to keep this visit short. It would have been nice to have spent time there studying the property and chatting to the owner; there could have been things that would have been useful to know about the property, but I had to go.

I made my second visit for the evening to someone’s house who worked in the place I work. They had some removalist cartons they no longer needed which I wanted. I loaded my little EXA brimful of folded cardboard boxes and was off arriving at Warrandyte at about 2.00am. What a day.

No comments: