14 June 2008

Getting the ute ready

I began to figure out how to attach the campervan to the ute. Well, should I say how to secure the four anchor points which will locate and secure the campervan when I put it on. I had to remove the plastic liner that’s used for a tray in modern utilities. Tiffany might be surprised to see her car (my car) in pieces if she calls by. The plastic liner was difficult to get out – it had been glued in place (probably to stop it vibrating during travel) as well as being bolted in position.

Manufacturers have gone a bit cheap with this plastic liner thing. Not long after I bought this house I built a few stone walls around the place; retaining walls and steps. I’d go to the local quarry and bring back about half or three-quarters of a ton of rocks in the back of my old ute. But with this new plastic ute; I don't know. I wouldn’t be willing to load rock in this ute; the rocks might fall through the bottom. Though, it does allow easy access to the innards of the vehicle when removed.

With my first ute I bolted the anchor points, as specially made steel u-bolts, part way down the sides of the ute. That worked very well, but looked atrocious. Kind of industrial looking. With my next ute I fitted rope rails, which would double as actual rope rails. This was great, but it took ages to put it together in a way that looked good. So, I had something different planned for this new car.

What I was trying for this time was four simple anchor points, but not having them bolted to the outside skin of the ute. I was trying for mounts on the inside. Plastic ute liners are not structural things. So, I had to remove it to find out where the steel in this ute was located. Anyway, it’s a happening thing, thankfully.

No comments: