11 June 2008

Novated lease

I seemed to have spent most of the day driving back and forward between Eltham and Warrandyte faxing stuff to the leasing company and to my workplace in Canberra to get the ute purchase organised. Lou at Direct Salary Packaging was good to deal with, but things are still moving at a slower pace than I’d have liked. With a house to pack the last thing I want to be bothered with is sending faxes to all and sundry. I was curious to discover that DSP is owned by RACV, and of course, I get RACV roadside coverage under the package. Not the top offering of full service that regular members get with all the bells and whistles. I just get the emergency call service, but I’m not complaining. That’s great.

I called into the DSP office to finalise the arrangement. I think it’s good to meet people face to face. It gives you a chance to see who you are dealing with and gives them a change to size you up. The leasing arrangement covers vehicle insurance, registration, vehicle servicing, maintenance, and fuel costs. I just drive it and they pay for everything, which will be nice with increasing petrol costs. And somewhere along the line there is a tax break. The arrangement insists that you cover a certain minimum number of kilometres to be driven each year. I’ll just have to go for a few weekend drives if I'm not covering the distance, and not worry about petrol costs while I'm doing it. Oh, that’ll be so tough.

Wridgways rang: Following up on an earlier enquiry, if they don’t take our boxes it’ll save us $2134. There was no mention of the estimated cost reduction of doing our own packing, as they said the calculate that.

No comments: