17 June 2008

Wridgways - an unexpected experience

I took a drive to the Melbourne office of Wridgways to pick up some removalist boxes. I’d been building up a few boxes from people who had finished using them and had given them to me. I also had a lot stored in the attic from when we moved into the house about 15 or so years ago. Those old boxes were still good, but the tape had perished. I guess that’s not surprising after all that time. Anyway, although I had a lot I needed some more.

Ted, one of the Wridgways reps had told S that the cost of removalist boxes would be included in the quote. And so there I was at Wridgways office looking to pick up a few boxes. I was asked to pay for them. I’m not particularly impressed with that.

Emily came out to the front desk to speak to me. She was visibly annoyed with me, saying I shouldn’t have just fronted at the office without having telephoned first. What the hell?

This is a business, surely. A shop front. When has anyone telephoned before calling at a shop front for anything? When was the last time you wanted something from a business; a chemist or shoe shop perhaps, and have had to make an appointment first? With a doctor or dentist you need to make an appointment, but if you walk in from the street they are not going to refuse to sell you a toothbrush or something, and say to you in an annoyed manner that you should have rung first. What a load of rubbish. What sort of company is Wridgways?

Anyway, Emily, this overly aggressive office tyke said the cost of removalist boxes was only covered if the company did the packing for us, and as we were doing our own packing we’d have to pay for them. This must have been in the small print somewhere. I don’t recall anything like that, and I thought I was quite good at reading the documentation. I couldn’t help wondering if she made it up on the fly. I paid for my boxes.

Tiffany rang while I was at Wridgways. She’s the person I was in the process of buying the ute from. She said the cheque had been cleared and she’d be bringing the key around. She congratulated me on the purchase. After Emily’s little tantrum I didn’t feel in a particularly congratulatory mood, being more in an it’s-about-bloody-time mood. Emily had definitely soured my frame of mind. Which was a pitty because unfortunatley Tiffany copped some coldness from me.

No comments: