01 June 2008

More car hunting

I spent the day looking at more utes. Why do people over-price the stuff they want to sell? Do they really think their well cared for factory made second hand car is any better than the next person’s well cared for used car? Some difference above the norm is tolerable, but sellers shouldn’t put outlandish price tags on their things.

There was a Holden I saw at one of the car markets. It was a really nice relatively late model, but why were they asking over $19k when they should know the going rate. Everyone buying or selling a used car should consult the Red Book for a vehicle’s worth. I made reference to the Red Book, but the reaction was simply that they won't budge on the price. Okay, fine. I'll shop elsewhere.

There was also a Falcon in Craigieburn being advertised for $17,000 that seemed interesting. I spotted it on the carsales web site a few days ago. The Red Book listed the model between $15500 and $18400. So, depending upon its condition it could be worth considering. So long as it’s still available when I get to Melbourne.

There was a car market at Woden. There was nothing there for me at that market, but I spotted a campervan. I was curious about it, having one of my own. Though this one was a combi. As I approached, I saw someone inside. It turned out that it was the owners who were inside; sitting in it. They were a very young couple. Both of them were well wrapped up against the cold, and both of them had red noses and had the snuffles. I wonder if this campervan was their home. They were a cheerful pair, despite both having a cold. Youth is so optimistic. I noticed little columns of 5c and 10c coins on the table. They were checking their resources, I guess. When they sell their camper van, they’ll have some money, but perhaps nowhere to live. Poor souls. I felt for them.

No comments: